Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hongdae afternoon

Hongdae is a neighborhood in the NW of Seoul in the area surrounding Hongik University. This area is internationally known for it's nightlife, and I agree! The two times that I have been in Hongdae for the nightlife it's been really chill, dubstep at a small place called Mansion (hmm....), lots of stylish people and good street food, and an indie rock show at a tiny, smokey third floor bar.

It is evident that this pocket of Seoul is packed with style, art, and young progressive students. I set out for a day trip to Hongdae, camera in hand, to see another side of this popular neighborhood. In the light of day a new perspective was visible. For one, street art, tagging, and graffiti was everywhere! 















The streets are packed with crazy fashion sense and a variety of street performers, food carts and eclectic coffee shops. There are lots of little cafes and bohemian clothing boutiques lining the crowded streets, with clubs and music venues up top. There is one main park near the center of the urban village, a great place to drink a beer and people watch.












Once I met these guys we headed to seek out the rumored taco cart in the area, and lo and behold, we found it! The guy who ran it spent five years living in Southern California, a good place to harness the skill of making excellent tacos, and that they were! And spicy! My god, there was a moment of panic for me when the spice kept growing, I feared it was going to equal the heat of el jefe! None the less, this place was killer, and I'll certainly go back.






After recovering from the burritos we continued wandering around the neighborhood for hours, conversing while observing the people, the atmosphere, and the sights. 











2 comments:

  1. I want to eat a So.Cal Korean taco when I visit! Hopefully he is still out there when it is freezing. I am for sure putting that town on my list of places I want to check out when I come.
    Looks like you had a beautiful day. Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we will definitely check out Hongdae, we won't let the cold slow us down! I'm already compiling a list of things to show you....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...