Thursday, July 14, 2011

Middle School



When I began teaching middle school English in Korea, I was given the keys to the "English Zone". This brightly painted room stands in contrast to the drab, long hallways that are lined with classrooms.

There are slogans on the walls such as "Dream your Future" and "Discover your Potential". The last one is above the white boards, and has been employed in a game of hangman with the class. There is a transforming facial expression when a student who speaks English as a second language (and is looking around for any English word for help solving the puzzle) pieces together that the long statement under the gallows is written just above on the soffit. The rest of the 15 year olds all groan in unison when it is revealed. I digress. When, I first got the room, there were many tables, all of which were completely free from graffiti.
Despite my best monitoring, this is no longer the case. Some of the students are quite the artist, and I take a small bit of pride when they use the effort to write in English (at least they feel the presence of being in the English Zone!). Controlling the classroom has its limitations. The concept of being on time, raising your hand to speak, not punching your neighbor, are completely lost in translation. I find ways to keep the best order I can, but in a school where locks are mandatory on the doors when you're away, stopping graffiti on tables takes the back burner.

One such table had this drawing of yours truly (it says "Who am I?"):


When showing it to a couple students before class, they gave it their assessment, and cooly said "You're more handsome than that" before turning back to their chatting. One could be flattered by this, but let me enlighten you on what you can expect a Korean student to know what to say in case you ever happen upon one.
1. Hello teacher
2. Nice to meet you(every time they see you)
3. Hello handsome guy
4. He is gay
5. I am fine
6. I am so-so
7. Wow
8. Oh my god

Well, that is pretty much it. But actually, a lot of the students study English even after school at private institutes. These children make up a huge portion of my perception of Korean people just as I am an ambassador of the entire western world. Because the younger generation is so unanimously on course to learn the global language, they are my best friends (young Koreans) when I am out and about the city/country and lost. Side-note: 주 솨 is how my name is written in Hangul, but is normally pronounced Joshee by the students. It has been a learning experience this first half of the school year as I hope for the best for the future term.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...