Wednesday, August 3, 2011

long walks and bitter beer

getting off work this early in the day is something nice that I am easily getting used to. I will admit that those early mornings are sometime hard, but all in all it is a schedule that I am happy to be getting accustomed to. It allows for all sorts of things to be done during those beautiful daylight hours. summer school is well under way, in fact it's almost done now (hell yeah). the summer classes have us busy but we are done at lunch time! so nice....

speaking of early afternoons it was a blazing hot one the other day, and I decided to take a longer-than-usual walk across the city. we live south of the river, in Yeoksamdong, I eventually wanted to make it up to the Iteawon area, which is north of the river a ways. Josh was busy brewing beer again. this evening was the first night that the beer he's made would be on tap at a bar! So I had to make it up there. I ended up walking the whole distance. I had time to kill and i wanted to take some photos and just spend a few hours deep in my ipod world, looking at things with the selective eyes of a photographer. the walk took me an easy three hours. i managed to find some of the least populated streets in all of Seoul I believe, which was so nice for me, as this concrete jungle is quite overwhelming at times. I walked through Gangnamgu, past the Express bus terminal, had to go underground for a while, just to cross one of the insane intersections, and I almost got lost for I was so turned around under there, with it's maze of identical corridors and dozens of stairways leading to exits above. just crossing the street is a long walk in this city.

I made it successfully to the Banpo bridge and across the one kilometer wide Han river, then up up up the hill to Yongsan, where Bar Carmen exists. a funky little bohemian style hangout with paper lanterns and comfy couches and lounge chairs. paintings of swirling trees in gold and navy blue and red on the walls, a very miniature chess board and: the beer. So good. A hoppy slightly opaque pale ale, bitter and strong and cold. Nice job guys, another fabulous beer!

My feet were sore from trekking so many miles in my flimsy little flip flops, but all in all the walk was so good for me. I got to think and dance my way down streets and stop on the bridge to let the strong, hot wind blow my hair dry my sticky flesh.

as usual, here is what i saw:

















love love love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...