Thursday, January 19, 2012

the first of the "lasts"

It is amazing the way things change. It seems like not so long ago that everything was “the first”, first time in Seoul, first day as a teacher, first visit to a temple, first this, first that. And how quickly it has now transformed to “the lasts”, since we are outta here soon! So today was a big one. My last day teaching!

A year already? How does that happen so fast? We had a nice long break over the holidays and then we picked up some extra work doing an English teaching camp near our house for some extra money (we’ll need it!) and for something to do during our few months off work.

The camp is a piece of cake and actually a bit fun! They provide breakfast and lunch for us in our toasty warm office, where we reunited with some other English teachers that we’ve met before doing similar work. Each teacher (there are 7 of us) had our own class of fifteen students. Mine were the advanced level, all 15-16 year olds. We talked about food and the environment, human rights, multiculturalism, health and fitness, and other interesting and somewhat controversial topics. My students were very active in the discussions and wrote some killer essays and speeches that wowed the teacher in me.

So it was three weeks of easy work; half days near our home, hanging with the same fifteen bright kids for the day, free food, learning new things, seeing some friends, and a paycheck. Not bad.

I had an art class at the end of each day and the students generally just screwed off, as young teenagers usually do, but occasionally I would get a really nice piece of artwork from a student who was proud to show it off by hanging it in the hall or the class.










On the last class today I knew that my students were up to something, for when I arrived at the class (a little late, as usual), the lights were off and they were all huddled together in the middle of the class. The little devils had gotten me a cake and put candles in it to wish me farewell! They brought drinks and chips and candy and we had a little party. They all thanked me for teaching them, saying how much they learned and loved my class! It was a special moment and they caught me off guard with their thoughtful deeds. 





So it was a good way to close the chapter of teaching. A good “last” if you ask me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...