Tuesday, June 28, 2011

rain for the seoul....

The rainy season is in full effect here in Seoul, and it is no joke! I mean I thought that I, of all people, born and raised in the rainy Pacific Northwest, would be used to rainy seasons. Well this is different, it is some other breed of rain, it’s Asian rain, aka: torrential downpours all day. Imagine that heavy spring rain that happens in Portland for about one hour in the afternoon and it’s insane to even go outside during that time, well it’s like that here, only for the whole day, hours on end of rivers in the street, and awnings and umbrellas offering little to no shelter. The temperature is a little cooler- that is nice. In fact, I welcome the rain and actually like it, I always have! I like to have the windows open and listen to the gutters overflowing causing the water to haphazardly splat into puddles below. There is something comforting about that wet white noise.

Seoul is a crowded city....  too crowded. My walk to work is a constant competition for sidewalk space, meaning that there are too many people walking in the same place at the same time that you have to be aggressive to make it through. It is rather annoying, especially at 8am, a time I’m still not used to. So imagine these overpopulated sidewalks and crosswalks, add the dumping rain, now every single person has an umbrella! Open like armor, securing their 2.5-foot perimeter. Get too close and they will just stab you with one of their umbrella spikes, shamelessly and without looking back. At first I was shocked! Old men, sweet looking ladies, teenagers and businessmen alike all combatively running into others with their umbrella spikes! Sometimes one will catch on another persons causing resistance, and eventually getting through the snarl, but often causing damage. This is crazy! I never really used umbrellas until I moved here, now it is necessary, and now I must learn these forceful ways to operate my umbrella on the crowded streets. I’m picking it up quickly, but I will admit that I already scouted out a new route to work, so as to avoid the masses if possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a lovely break from the rain on Sunday; the day they said there would be a typhoon of all days! I took advantage of the temporary rainless weather to take a walk, surprise surprise…. The sky was gray, making my neighborhood have a very serious look- all those skyscrapers reflecting the dark clouds, the streets wet and dark. So here is what I saw, on one gray afternoon, when the lighting seemed perfect the temperature a nice relief and my camera in hand! All these photos are from my immediate neighborhood, I was too lazy to walk very far! So enjoy....
my view, the sight that inspired the walk...

this is my street, just as you exit our building, heading east



the gangnam subway station has been under construction for months, they are putting in a bunch of new vendors and shops, the first few opened last weekend, amidst the ongoing renovation



tv screens everywhere!







i see this sign every day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...