Wednesday, June 22, 2011

you are what you eat... know what you are eating!

Food. It’s always on my mind. When’s my next meal? What will I cook? Where will I dine? Thoughts about how wonderful something tastes or how strange it looks or how much work went into it, but lately I have been really consumed with some greater questions revolving around food. What is in my food? How does this effect my body? Who is really benefiting most from me eating this?

Everywhere I look I see that there are ever rising health problems in America.  This is undeniable. In addition to this major issue of health and wellness, upon recent research I am finding a shocking and complicated relationship between farms and politics and major corporations.

I believe so greatly that what we eat matters. Where it comes from, what it is treated with, how it is produced and distributed, who is making major decisions, and how we, as people can maintain control over it. We are what we eat, literally! That which goes in us fuels us and in turn, shapes our minds and bodies, and often action and behavior. What we choose to eat can also say a great deal about what we are willing to support. 

There is a reality that the conversation about food has shifted dramatically in the past decade, and even more so in the past few years, and this is great. If this current conversation gives rise to an overall greater knowledge about food, and these complex questions around it, then it will have done some good. But I have a hope that it will do more.

I have been spending a lot of time reading and researching this topic, and it just so happens that I live in Korea! They have not adopted some of the beliefs that pockets of America have about eating locally and without lots of added mysterious stuff (like awesome Portland, from which I came). Reading food labels is impossible for me here. In February the strawberries are all about the size of a bell pepper and perfectly red and all the same size and shape, exactly. No joke. In June, overnight, literally, the strawberries all went away. Out of season? In the summer? Oh no…. it’s watermelon season now. Perfect watermelons. No seeds, all sweet and juicy and exactly the same size. It’s not a secret that the produce here is made from chemicals. So with this knowledge and also the new information that I have grown so passionate about, I have found myself frustrated! Not only are my feelings about genetically modified food and artificial sweeteners and MSG all becoming more heightened, but also I can’t avoid them!

I take the most basic steps I can, but the frustration is still there. So I decided the other day, in an Ah-Ha moment that I would allow myself to stop being so mad about this and stop channeling all this anger towards Koreans for being so non health-conscious. There are seasons in life, or chapters (to call upon the reoccurring metaphor in emails to my friends these days), and this is a season to educate myself even more, to learn a lot and do what I can, and not feel bad about what I can NOT do in terms of the food world.

I have chosen to take up full time education (via the internet) on organic urban farming so that I may be an expert when I do return to the states. I am taking the time now to sift through the myths and realities of the politics of farming and food and find what is best for me, for my body and mind. And while I can not avoid the food now, I can prepare myself for a time, not so far from now, when I can.

I have chosen to add a few selected readings and resourses for anyone who wants to know for themselves some of the things that have been on my mind and in my conversations.

Industrial Tomatoes - this is an eye opening article about tomatoes. years ago I made a personal decision to pretty much avoid tomatoes when they are not in season. They taste so good when they are fresh and ripe! I will wait all winter for those yummy summer gems. This article not only solidifies that decision in a nutritional sense, but also in a serious social sense. 

The Ethicurean - a resource for finding news and funny stories and ideas for cooking and keeping the food in your life healthy and fair. 

Improving School Food - and article by the Environmental Working Group that clearly states the cost and benefit of implementing healthy and natural school lunches for public school kids in order to combat health issues and boost mental growth. I loved this article, I urge you to read it! 

Michael Pollan's daily link - selected articles from news or other sources that caught the eye of food activist and writer Michael Pollan. Usually good stuff here. 

Do you trust Monsanto? - this is one woman's eloquent analysis of the giant corporation Monsanto, the makers of agent orange and DDT, who have a heavy hand in policy making for food.

Civil Eats - another all around information and ideas website for all things green and food related.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...