Thursday, October 20, 2011

brief synopsis










Coming to Korea, an unexpected direction that my life took.  Here, I am on vacation with the type of easiness you have when you know something is temporal, when you know there is a contract, and (in this case) when that contract is up, you already have airfare out.  This temporality is a point in case of my life on this planet really, but I’d digress…in this city, for but a time, I am free.  
(nicole scaring Nathan who is coming out of the washroom)

yes, those are pink ears

I am free to let my mouth gape, to exert myself in the privacy you get in big crowds of strangers, to plunder the oddities I like form this culture for personal integration.  I am free to create myself.  I am free to look past the imperfections, I don’t have to fix anything here, just observe and often, look beyond negativities to what I can use to make my day a day worth living.  My job has my mind thinking about communication, about grammar, about language, about how to learn, and how to package learning as fun.

I find myself engaged in small talk with middle schoolers all day, and co-teachers.  It is ridiculous, yet there is a satisfaction and pure moment when communication happens.  Just basic transactions become an adventure; small talk becomes enough.  What is lost in translation is gained in glee.  It is a special time in my life, as far from the US as it can be, but blowing the ceiling of my mind away to a new focus, new experiences, and a global way of thinking.  The important part is opening myself to the trip, as each day lived becomes my life                        


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...