Monday, May 14, 2012

the sea, the woods, the veranda


It has gotten hot here, and fast. We are far more prepared for the heat than we were for the chill we experienced in France last month, so these 90 degree days are okay with me. Especially with the cool Atlantic ocean just a short walk away.  The beaches are nearly empty and the waves are large and mesmerizing, as waves generally are. The ocean opens up a whole multitude of thoughts within me. I recently wrote this while sitting next to the sea:

Ocean waves, salty spray, the sea is very alive.
It holds so much life, and carries us from place to place
It is an eternal metaphor and it is eternal
The vastness of the sea conjures up a strangely conflicting set of thoughts and feelings:
 I have a fear- an adoration- of the sea,
 of the water it holds and the powerful tides and waves. 
I feel very small in contrast to the enormous body of water
Yet at the same time I feel very much at home and peaceful when I sit and watch the ocean- 
I feel that I am a part of a much greater whole and also somehow a whole in and of myself
 I am, at moments like this, able to grasp the enormity and complexity of the universe 
and for the moment it is simple.


Vast sea to one side and the Umbrella Pine Tree protected forest to the other. One extremely windy day of late we took a hike up into the forest, which is unlike the pine forests I am so used to in the Pacific NW. The trees here are all very tall, which is common, but the branches are quite different than the pines I know, which shoot out perpendicular to the massive trunks. These Analucian branches reach upward creating a large canopy up top, and much welcomed shade for us below. The smell was incredible. The forest floor a mix of soft sand and spiky pine needles. 


There were no really marked trails so we wandered up and up and up for while then back down another route... towards the town of Los Caños de Meca, about seven or so kilometers from where we are staying- which we completely missed due to some wrong turn (it's easy to get lost in the woods with no trail!) and ended up hitch hiking to finally reach our destination. Los Caños de Meca is another idyllic beach town, sleepy and dramatic at the same time. There was one restaurant open with a killer view and some of the tastiest gazpacho around. Speaking of gazpacho... it's been a daily affair around here and I'm forever hooked. 





As for around the space we're staying at, well the days have been interesting work: Josh is making doors, and they are looking so good! He enjoys the work and it's a good learning experience (and he gets to stay in the shade). I have been working in the yard and garden as well as mastering my sewing skills and a bit of painting here and there. Good work for our trade off of this lovely home with a lovely view and some tasty meals.


The sunsets have been remarkable around here, and what better place to watch them than from our seaward facing veranda and while strumming the guitar and singing some tunes. 


Love from España, Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...