Tuesday, July 31, 2012

a return to Lost Lake

It's been about twenty years since I last visited the high altitude lake called Lost Lake. I was just a kid then, and I hardly remembered it, so the return trip was a treat. My mother and I hopped in the vehicle and headed up highway 26 to E. Lolo Pass Road, oh the memories of camping off Lolo.... We took Lolo Pass to the end, where it turns into a bumpy, narrow service road #18. The drive is beautiful. Stunning views of the mountain as we traverse alongside and over the creeks that quickly flow into the rivers. At forest service road #13 we turned left, 7 miles up we arrive at the gem of Lost Lake. 


Blue skies and warm weather made the shade of the old growth forest feel remarkable. We chose the loop trail, which circles the lake for about 3.5 miles. The trail is nicely maintained in most places, making it an easy walk. The views were stunning. 



There is something remarkable about the high mountain wild flowers and berries. They survive harsher winters and cooler temperatures all year round. But with all the clean, fresh air they manage to thrive. 

 








It is still and quiet up there, not much to busy ones mind with. It feels good to stop and just take in the surroundings... each sense heightened in it's own way. It's good to get away, to the woods, for my mind and for my body. I'm so grateful for all the service roads that exist on the mountains, for without them we'd never see this pristine beauty. Just remember: always leave no trace.


1 comment:

  1. Nicole, I love that lake. I hiked around it once, and rented a canoe another time. I haven't seen too many big lakes like that where power boats aren't permitted, and it makes all the difference. Nice photos, especially of the flowers. You have a good eye for detail! I'm jealous of your trip. My friend Alec once rode his bike up over those forest roads, and came back through Hood River. In like 2 days. It was a little nuts! I think I'd want to take another day or two and enjoy it a little more than he was able to. (Still, I was duly impressed.)

    Nice to see you again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...