Monday, September 26, 2011

why do i sit at my desk all day long?


Sitting at a desk in not really my idea of a good time. I don’t think I am quite cut out for this line of work, which requires a lot of time staring at my computer and sitting stagnant, waiting for the hours to pass. But I do know this, taking this job and making the move to Korea has been a really good situation, regardless of my gripes or minor (or major) complaints. This move and decision to take a job as a public school teacher in the major metropolis of Seoul has opened up a plethora of new doors for me and opened my eyes to a contrasting way of life. Learning another culture is not easy, and has been in general a fun and quirky adventure. I never could have learned the small and large things that I have by simply being on vacation here, and these small and large pieces to our “Korean experience” are what make my time here seem worthwhile, and fill me with new knowledge and openness to other ways of life. It also makes me seriously dig where I am from!
In addition to the higher level of understanding I am gaining by being here, and the new and old relationships I am building, there is the paycheck, steady and plentiful and allows for us to live a luxurious life and also save save save for the year of serious round the world travel that is planned and also for setting up home again when we are done. So while I sit here perusing random websites, learning from the random massive collection that the world wide web has to offer in an attempt to stave off my boredom, I remind myself of all the reasons why we chose to move here, and all the plusses that we couldn’t have even planned for, made possible by these hours spent sitting at my desk.

Want to see where we went this past weekend? On an epic long walk through Myeongdong, Namdaemun, Dongdaemun, Cheongyecheon, and Iteawon. Perfect weather. We came across some pretty interesting stuff, including a festival to promote the end of violence to women and human trafficking, as well as a celebration of the Guinness world record of the most countries to band together to support a country at war, I think it was sixty two countries, on display on this 60th anniversary of the start of the Korean war. Also saw a pig rotating over open flame, unattended, on the side of the street. And a seriously ugly mannequin. And lots of other stuff as usual. Love love love, Nicole 











































No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...