Sunday, April 8, 2012

grab a map and compass and follow me downhill


sunshine, small town, silent and empty streets, easter sunday and you can't even tell! we pulled out the bicycles after a killer breakfast of eggs from our chickens and sausage from the previous pigs, some delicious french cheese, and English tea. We grabbed a map and a compass and rode on this bumpy trail that eventually led us to another slightly less bumpy trail and then a paved road, and several kilometers later we were at a tiny little town; picturesque as most of them are: 













at the western edge of the small town of Cluis there is a beautiful and elaborate viaduct, originally created in the late 1800's as a railroad bridge, the giant structure was stripped of it's rails in the mid 1950's and in the 1970's was restored as a bicycle and pedestrian path. The view from this viaduct is incredible: you can see farms for acres and acres, lakes and trees, homes and horses. We ate a humble lunch up top before heading down the steep trail to the bottom and making our way under the viaduct to see the stunning view from below, with horses and a small river in the foreground.  




hours into our ride, as afternoon was settling in nicely with it's long shadows and cooling breeze we headed toward the town of Gournay, which just so wonderfully happened to be almost five kilometers downhill from the viaduct. What a ride! I love bicycling. I miss my ancient Schwinn cruiser. I love the downhills, when I can stand up on my pedals and cruise on the winding, empty, country roads, not pedaling for a long time, enjoying the absence of cars and the presence of smooth pavement! At those moments I feel like a little girl again! I don't mind whatsoever the uphills, even though there is a sting and I might feel like complaining. It means that those downhills are that much better... that sweeter of a reward.

Gourney is a blink-and-you-miss-it kind of town, even on a bicycle. But I didn't blink, in fact I stopped one time for this specimen of a church, all adorned in it's afternoon sunlight and looking dramatic. I assure this town was about as un-dramatic as they get! There is one restaurant, which Josh and I mentioned we may cycle back to one day before we leave this region.


The ride was incredible. Aside from nearly being attacked by an angry farm dog (no joke... I just don't want to relive it by telling it, sorry folks!) it was a springtime sunday afternoon perfection! I love bikes, and maps, and compasses, good company, good snacks, nice views, fresh air, and fresh flowers.  And France. This had it all and more....



Love 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had an Easter Sunday to remember. It actually sounds and looks like something out of some romantic travel movie, nice one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...